“Blessed is the man You chasten, O Lord–the man You teach from Your law!” Psalm 94:12
The chastenings of the Lord often appear severe–but they are merciful… …When God chastens–He teaches. The lessons are found in His Word–but we never learn many of them–until we go through the furnace of affliction! We often learn more truth from one short, sharp affliction–than we do from many books and sermons!
In affliction, God teaches us . . .
- our own emptiness and vanity,
- our dependence on Himself, and
- the insufficiency of all our earthly things!
In affliction, God . . .
- endears the Lord Jesus and His great salvation to us;
- shows us the value of the provision of grace;
- makes our consciences tender and honest;
- qualifies us for usefulness on earth; and
- fits us for the enjoyment of Himself in Heaven.
“Blessed is the man whom God corrects; so do not despise the chastening of the Almighty!” Job 5:17
~ James Smith, 1802—1862, “Comfort for Christians!”